At Katandra School we use Zones of Regulation as a cognitive behavior approach across our school. Zones of Regulation is designed to help students recognize when they are in different emotional states called “zones”. The Zones are used to help students visually and verbally self-identify how they are functioning in a given moment.
The zones are designed to help the students:
- Tune into their bodies and recognise when they are in different zones
- Learn how to self-regulate (i.e. use strategies to change the zone they are in)
- Increase/introduce children’s emotional vocabulary
- Introduce skills in reading other people’s expressions/body language
- Learn about how others see and react to their behaviour
- Gain some insight into triggers for their behaviour
At Katandra School our teachers teach students coping and regulation strategies so they can help themselves when they become stressed, anxious or sad. Self Regulation skills are vital for the social, emotional and academic success of school children.
Ready to Learn
Loss of Some Control
Out of Control